The orthodontic appliances, or simply braces, are small elements cemented on the teeth. They attract more easily dental plaque and scale, and they often make teeth cleaning a bit more complicated.
The risks of not having your regular visits at the hygienists are numerous:
- Higher probability of cavity formation.
- Higher probability of gum disease (gingivitis or periodontitis).
- Development of white marks/spots on the teeth surfaces.
For those reasons we highly recommend to patients planning to have an orthodontic treatment to:
- Have a scale and polish session before placing the braces.
- Have a second appointment with the hygienist, immediately after posing the braces, where they will be presented with the proper methods and accessories to properly clean around their new appliances.
- Plan a check-up session every 3-4 months.
- Have a final session, when the orthodontist will remove the braces, to do a proper finishing and remove any remaining cement.
What is more, if needed, your hygienist can apply some specialised fluoride varnish during the orthodontic treatment.
The scale is done with the EMS Ultrasound system, with the additional use of the manual Deppeler curettes. At the CHD this treatment is pain-free : we use the latest EMS ultrasound system – from an emblematic Swiss company – combined with the new NO-PAIN technology.
The air-polish finishing allows access to zones hard to reach because of the orthodontic appliances, making sure that we properly address every surface around every brace.
Personalised Follow-Up Program (recall) :
Based on the appliance type, your dexterity to clean properly around the braces, the quality of your gums and your saliva, your hygienist will propose you a personalised treatment plan, in order to maintain a good level of dental and oral health. By the way, no need for you to keep your appointment in mind; we will remind you with a letter, sms or a personalised call !
Check-up included :
During your appointment of scale and polish, your hygienist will completely check your mouth and teeth to make sure there are no obvious underlying problems. In case there are, she will provide you with a report so that you can proceed in treatment with your dentist, or she will address you to one of the dentists of our team.